Friday, May 6, 2011

Sydney, Australia - the Good, the Fat and the Uhhh... (Part 2)


Following on from Part 1...

The Uhhh...

Cafe Ish, Surry Hills

I'm going to have to choose my words carefully here. Cafe Ish is one of those places that has been hyped up by so so so so so so so so so so so so many food blogs, but at the same time causing a minor foodblog controversy regarding taking photos and such. I don't really want to weigh in about this issue, but I do want to talk about the food!
At the risk of triggering major anger here, I have to say the food was... confounding? Let me explain...

I've seen all the pictures of the wattleseed cappucino and it does look fantastic. Also the breakfasts do look awesome. But we were there for dinner, after finding some internet offer thingy which was for a $30/pp degustation.

Top: Cabbage with wattleseed miso mayo ; Bottom Left: Cucumber salad with chilli, soy, garlic ; Bottom Right: Edamame with Murray river pink salt
Surprise is an understatement for what we thought when the first plate came out - a large pile of raw chopped cabbage with a pot of mayo. Unconventional? I was plenty skeptical until I had snacked my way through most of it without realising. The cabbage was fresh, crunchy and sweet, and this perhaps was my favourite dish of the evening.
The cucumber salad was a little reminiscent of chinese-style pickle, whilst we weren't able to finish the veritable mountain of edamame on offer.

Left: Two types of sake ; Top Right:  Miso soup ; Bottom Right: Potato and feta mochi with Davidson plum sauce
The potato mochi were a great idea, kind of like a cross between regular mochi and tater tots with a cheesy centre except a little classier.
I couldn't really pin down what it was about the miso soup - it was rather light in flavour and had a different taste to usual. Only after coming back home and looking at the menu, it seems to be that the stock is made from mushroom (+ konbu) rather than bonito.

Skewer plate (foreground to background): Crocodile tail panko crumbed with Japanese curry sauce ; Tofu, shittake mushrooms & spring onions with wattleseed teriyaki ; Grass fed “Mirragong” waygu with wasabi and soy
Up next were three different kinds of skewers. The crocodile tail tasted pretty much like chicken (everything tastes like chicken right?), so to me the whole thing was basically like chicken katsu curry on a stick! I have to say the wagyu was pretty tough and there were no clues as to the wagyuness of it all. Didn't really make sense with soy and wasabi either. I have to say I just don't get all the wagyu stuff you find these days - I never see a single bit of marbled fat?

 Left: Okonomiyaki with pumpkin, spinach, wasabi mayo and melted cheese ; Right: Karaage crab and avocado omelette with garlic, chilli, soy, ginger dressing
It was at this stage that the knockout blow was delivered. To our stomach capacity. Having already dealt with surprisingly large portion sizes (the photos show the serving size for two people), the super-rich mayo + cheese + gooeyness of okonomiyaki absolutely sank the ship. I do like melted cheese though.

By this stage, we used up our napkins, finished out drinks, packed our things ready to leave, but alas we were mistaken! One more dish swiftly arrived on our table - the oft-raved about soft shell crab omelette. It was seriously massive, bulging full of super-generous chunks of crab and avocado, garnished with a fantastic almost sambal-like sauce. The photo simply does not show how huge it was. Stomach pains ensued.

Verdict? Let me get this straight. I have plenty of respect for the boldness in combining native Australian ingredients with Japanese influences. Also some of the flavours were great, if not particularly refined. Part of me says "Hey, this is a cafe, so for cafe food it's pretty different and awesome, plus seriously good value". But at the same time, I must say I left slightly dissatisfied with the experience. It just felt as though whilst each dish was interesting on its own, the flow of the degustation was kinda wrong.

Perhaps if I haven't offended too many people, I ought to go again for breakfast and coffee instead?

Shady Pines Saloon, Darlinghurst

Left: Trumer Pils ; Right: Lord Nelson Brewery 'Three Sheets' Pale Ale

Looks are deceiving. From the outside, the unremarkable lane on which this bar is situated appears little more than the back alley of some dodgy rundown student apartments. No signs, no posters, nothing... except a line growing outside an unmarked door.
Inside is what I'm told is currently one of Surry Hills' trendy spots - a Western themed bar which tonight (a regular weeknight) is full to capacity. They do a range of interesting beers, as well as wine and a bunch of cocktails. Pretty nice spot, although I'm not entirely convinced by the decor...

Agave, Surry Hills


Clockwise from Top Left: Frijoles refritos ($13) ; Queso fundido ($15) ; Croquetas de pollo ($16) ; Enpanadas ($14) ; Pulpos al ajillo ($16) ; Flautas de pollo ($14)
When you're out with some mates from uni and you need a place for 20 people at short notice, you'll take whatever you get. Luckily we managed to find Agave, a Mexican restaurant on the popular eat street Crown St.
We ordered a bunch of tapas (do they even do tapas in Mexico?), all of which were very visually appealing, taste satisfying but nothing special, and a little steep given the small size... but remember we're in Surry Hills here.

-----

So ends my Sydney food rant. Actually there were plenty of other places I went but didn't bring my camera to. Of particular interest was the food level in the flashy new Westfield Town Hall, where they've brought together some pretty happening restaurants and let them set up shop in the food court. Exciting! Although $9 or something along those lines for a cheese and ham croissant, Becasse or not, is highway robbery.

Anywho, next stop Hong Kong!

No comments:

Post a Comment