Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sydney, Australia - the Good, the Fat and the Uhhh... (Part 1)

There are plenty of fantastic places to eat and drink in Sydney. And thankfully there are plenty of fantastic posts by Sydney food bloggers to tell us where to find them!

This blog post is not one of them.


Ok that was a little self-deprecating, but what I really meant was that during my recent all-too-short trip back to Sydney, I kinda got lazy and didn't really do my usual foodie thing. That is, I didn't trawl through all the food blogs to hunt down the latest funky cafes and trendy restaurants, nor did I find my way into any of the one, two or three-hatted institutions littered throughout the CBD.

The result? Judge for yourself!

The Good

A Little on the Side, Darlington

Left: Mushroom, feta, kumara and dukka open omlette with sourdough toast ($12.50) ; Right: A proper cappucino ($3)
I would never have known about this cafe if it weren't for my good friend the Wangka who seems to be utterly devoted to this place. And for very good reason. Dukka goes great on omelette... gotta try to do this myself sometime.
And after getting off a plane at 6 am, nothing really beats a good cup of Campos coffee. Hooray for real coffee! Oh plus they have free wi-fi too.

(An aside: There are so many good cafes near Sydney Uni... let's see... Cafe Ella, Tripod, The Shortlist all in Redfern, then there's Badde Manors and Clipper Cafe in Glebe. For coffee, there's Toby's Estate on City Rd, but the best is the original Campos on Missinden Rd in Newtown.)

The Red Door @ Foveaux, Surry Hills

Red: 'Foveaux Cosmo' vodka, gewurtztraminer, hibiscus syrup, lime ($17) ; Orange: 'Old Cuban' rum, lime, sugar, mint, bitters, champagne ($16)
Whilst I'd heard of Foveaux (one of the increasing number of fancy degustation restaurants in Sydney), I didn't know they also operated a cosy little underground bar next door. Really nice place. Thanks YY!

The Fat

Kentucky Fried Chicken, Town Hall

The Double: Two Zinger chicken fillets, two slices of cheese, bacon, SUPERCHARGED sauce ($7.95).
"OH NOES!" I hear you say. I would too, but at midnight on a end-of-week-night, that 'oh noes' becomes a 'hell yeah'.

Caution: May cause salivation, hallucinations, bowel irritations and/or death.

I still do not know what "supercharged" tastes like.

JJ's @ the Mouth of the Hawkesbury, Brooklyn, Central Coast

Family Pack Thingy: 2 x Fish, Calamari, Prawns, Potato Scallops, Chips
Greasy. Heart-stopping. But what would you do if you weren't able to catch a single fish after half a day on the Hawkesbury river?

Central Coast humour.
Landsdowne Hotel, Broadway

Steak and chips with pepper sauce ($7)
Student hangout. (In)Famous for their $5 $6 $7 meal deals. The steak was much better than I expected/remembered. And actually medium rare! I suspect I got lucky with the cut of meat, as everyone seemed to have a rather different looking piece... no complaints from me!

The Uhhh...

Cafe Ish, Surry Hills

Hmm, I sense this next bit might be long. So you'll find out the rest... after this commercial break.
I'll post the rest tomorrow as Part 2! Muhahaha...

3 comments:

  1. Hola! The Red Door and A Little on the Side sound like such great places. I would go by word of mouth any day!

    PlateFace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola PlateFace! I totally agree, word of mouth is one of the best ways of finding new places.
    And food blogs =P (which is like word of mouth but on the internet...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum....and much cheaper than here...

    ReplyDelete