Friday, May 20, 2011

Ice-cream updates...


The green tea ice cream I made a couple of weeks back was such a success, I had to try making more... but this time chocolate! Yum.

Basically just substituting the matcha powder with cocoa seemed to do the trick, although the ice-cream texture turned out a little more dense, rich and icy than the green tea version. Not sure if it's because you need to add more powder-flavoury-stuff (cocoa/matcha), or if it's because I didn't stir it enough whilst it was freezing because I fell asleep...

Cocoa and Walnut Ice Cream (with a splash of brandy)


Ingredients:

1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
300 mL milk
300 mL cream
capful of brandy
4 egg yolks
handful of walnut pieces
pinch of salt

Pretty much the same as the previous green tea recipe. Warm milk (don't boil) and dissolve the cocoa. Mix egg yolks and sugar and then add to the warm cocoa milk until dissolved, followed by salt and brandy.  Strain through a sieve and let cool to room temp.

Someone told me once that salt draws out the full flavour of chocolate. Surprising but true!

Lightly whip cream and add to the chocolate mixture. Cool in fridge for a couple of hours then put in freezer. Stir the mix vigorously every hour, scraping down the frozen sides as you go. When it gets to a slushie stage, add the walnuts.

I googled salt and chocolate, and what did I find? This. OMGBACONYUM.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, I heard that about the salt too, it's just a case of not adding too much :S And lol at the falling asleep, sounds like something I would do!

    Also just wanted to let you know I've given you an award, I think us Trinitarians have gotta stick together :) http://puddingpielane.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-award-thee.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! I'd definitely love to try it with the brandy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xinmei - students are experts at falling asleep right? =P

    Thanks for the comment Sheila! Yeah the brandy did add a nice layer of extra flavour to the ice cream. We still have most of the bottle left, so it's going to be tiramisu time soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Yu Heng, this is gonna be on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kelly, yeah you should definitely try it! And then invite me over for dinner =P hahaha

    ReplyDelete