Sunday, May 8, 2011

QED: Bill's Famous Scrambled Eggs

I got so excited about Bill's scrambled eggs that I'm writing this as the title dish is slowly digesting in mah belly. Or perhaps I need to get this out before I die of a heart attack thanks to 80 mL of heavy cream.

-----


Fate is a funny thing. Take Bill Granger, an art student/part-time waiter who chanced his arm by opening a restaurant in Darlinghurst in Sydney at the age of 22. Now he's an internationally renowned chef with three Sydney cafes, two in Japan and very soon a new joint in London.

And all because of scrambled eggs. I'll leave you to read up on his story.

The new Bill's gourmet food shop in Cambridge, right outside my house. But it's not Bill Granger, but some other Bill it seems.
As fate would have it for me,
1) I recently noticed that a new Bill's shop is opening up just outside the bike store gate on Green St, right next to where we live (I thought it was the same Bill but actually it isn't);
2) I had 80 mL of spare cream in the fridge thanks to yesterday's Matcha ice-cream exploits;
3) Sunday morning.
---> Perfect time to make Bill's famous scrambled eggs.

Bill's scrambled eggs (with blue cheese wilted spinach)
I couldn't resist putting up another photo of the same thing.
Ingredients:

2 eggs
80 mL cream
pinch of salt
a sliver of butter

100-150 g baby spinach
small wedge of soft blue cheese
black pepper
It's all too easy, 5 minutes is all it takes.

Starting with the spinach, throw a chunk of blue cheese (I use Castello Blue, mmm creamy goodness) and a lot of spinach into a pan over medium heat. When the cheese has melted and the spinach has just wilted, add some cracked black pepper and set aside.

For the eggs, mix with cream and salt until just combined. Melt butter in the pan, and when it bubbles, add the eggs and let the bottom cook for 20 secs. Using a wooden spoon, draw in the edges to the centre and let the eggs cook for another 10 secs. Draw the edges in again, take pan off the heat and serve immediately. The eggs will continue to cook with the residual heat, so be careful not to overcook them.

Toast some bagels, get some parma ham. Mentally prepare for deceptively light but seriously artery clogging deliciousness.

All I need now is a good coffee...

Tips:
- I read somewhere Bill says it works best with a non-stick pan (that's the only one I own...)
- I also read don't do more than 2 eggs at a time otherwise it won't cook properly

4 comments:

  1. hey can you make pizza next time? like with self-made dough and everything? :)
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well PC is the Italian, not me, so ask him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's impossible for scrambled eggs not to cook properly :)

    I'd also recommend scrambled eggs with grated tasty cheese added, yum! I've been eating it with little cubes of potatoes fried with olive oil, rosemary and garlic, and sourdough/turkish toast. Sooo good, almost worth congestive heart failure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle! Believe it or not I have managed to butcher scrambled eggs before... (think bits of dry mangled egg pancake)

    Actually I'm liking the sound of potato cubes with rosemary and garlic, very yum. And I do like toasted sourdough/turkish bread, although the supermarket here sadly doesn't seem to sell either.

    ReplyDelete