Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Zhong qiu jie kuai le! (中秋节快乐!)

So I bought some overpriced mooncakes today for the Mid-Autumn Festival.

Clockwise from top left: Five nuts/seeds, lotus paste, red bean (double yolk), black sesame (double yolk).
Always eager to educate and expand horizons, I asked M&M and PC to come over to share some of these strange-chinese-cake-things with a decent amount of scepticism. I mean, who puts whole salted egg yolks inside a cake?

Asian protip: It is highly recommended to buy mooncakes after the mid-autumn festival date. They often go on sale for half price.

The insides, same order as previously.
The reactions were varied to say the least...

PC: "For your blog, you can say I liked it... but not the egg."
M&M: "I have stomach pain now. Man, this is probably horseblood mixed with lead and stuff..."
YH: "No way, that would be too expensive to make."
PC: "My nose is bleeding now."
M&M: *knowing glance*
YH: "I like tendon... pause... a lot."

I have to say, despite all the fancy types you can get these days, I still prefer the plain old lotus paste ones, and of course with the egg. So what are your favourite (or least favourite) mooncake flavours? And do you like egg yolks in yours?

Happy mid-autumn festival everyone!

4 comments:

  1. to be precise, PC said "my nose is bleeding now.. but not alot" (it was really bleeding, and I had really stomach pain lol)

    it was one of these things you should try, but then also try to forget as quickly as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Vietnam, there are many different variations. I like the coconut one and also the so-called "mixed" one with nuts and a bit of (believe it or not) meat (Chinese sausages etc) with 2 yolks :D. 1 yolk is not enough :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I told you a friend has blackforest mooncake in their fridge (true story), would you still forget? =P

    Hey Kelly! Never heard of a coconut one before, meat I could imagine strangely enough, and yes, 1 yolk is never enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly like you're composing style, incredible data, thankyou for posting. qiu qiu

    ReplyDelete