Friday, July 15, 2011

Formal Feedback

As some of you might know, I've somehow got myself involved with catering for events run by the Trinity BA society (ie. graduate society). No, this doesn't mean I do any sort of large scale cooking for 200, nor does it mean I wash the 800 dishes every Friday night (phew!), but it does mean I get to write all the menus for our BA formal dinners.

Apologies in advance to our many non-Trinity and non-Cambridge student readers, although I hope it does give somewhat of an insight into the rather, um, special world that is Trinity college!

Sometimes, one type of sherry is just not enough...
I was always under the presumption that college kitchens had a set list of dishes they knew how to do, and as catering representative, you simply pick which ones you want for which day in what order. Oh was I wrong! To my surprise, I've been allowed to make up whatever names I like for dishes within reasonable limits of sanity (starting from previous years' menus as a guideline) and run it by the catering department who give feedback and such until a menu is agreed. Very cool, right?

So tonight was the first BA dinner of the long vacation term, and the very first based on menus that I had written. It's hard not to feel a significant amount of responsibility for the quality of the dishes, especially when the enjoyment of so many tastebuds and stomachs is at stake!

At first, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to document this on the blog, but I think this would be a really interesting forum to get feedback (both positive and negative!) about the dishes, any potential suggestions/improvements, and new dish ideas. I hope nobody in catering minds that I've done this.

I was overall happy with how this first dinner went.. here are my retrospective and inherently biased thoughts:

Beetroot and goats cheese salad with balsamic glaze
I had initially wanted the starter to be a 'stack' with alternate layers of cheese and beetroot, but the word 'stack' got cut from the final menu wording. Anyhow, I thought that extra effort went into the presentation and this was really great to see. I'm also a sucker for any type of balsamic reduction. On the down side, the slice of cheese was disproportionately large - thicker pieces of beetroot and less cheese would have improved the balance.

This was compounded by an error of judgement in my menu planning... I had forgotten that this week was 'cheese week' (post-dessert cheese + port which occurs every second dinner), and the dinner ended up with a slight cheese overload.

Seared tuna steak with wasabi aioli ; Soy, sesame and citrus salad ; Saute potatoes
I was a little apprehensive about this main - firstly I wasn't sure if the kitchen setup was able to do 'seared', given the logistics of serving hot food to large groups. Secondly, I wasn't sure what kind of take the kitchens would do on an asian twist.

I'm happy to say that the tuna was done right, not overcooked at all, and if I were to be finicky, perhaps slightly undercooked on the sides. The salad was a surprise too - definitely not what I had imagined when I wrote those words, but the sauce actually tasted pretty good.

If I were to be superfinicky, then I would say the tuna was a little sinewy, but I've probably just been spoilt by too much sushi grade tuna with beautiful texture. Ootoro. *sigh*

Lavender-infused creme brulee
Desserts (aka 'pudding' as they say in the UK, don't know why!) at Trinity are generally really good. I have to say this time I was slightly disappointed, even if 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Basically the flavour was fine, burnt sugar is always yum, but the texture was incredibly dense and far more solid than I'd expect for a creme brulee. Clearly they did something different from the famed Trinity Burnt Cream, where the texture is much better!

-----

Now the important bit. For anyone that went to the dinner, what did you guys think? What was good, and what needed improving?

And even if you weren't there or have nothing to do with Cambridge, any suggestions for good formal catering menu ideas? Especially vegetarian main meals - I'm really bad at this!!! I might steal ideas off Yotam Ottolenghi's stuff in the Guardian...

9 comments:

  1. You made a very elegant and sophisticated meal that I'm sure everyone enjoyed!

    The goat cheese and beetroot looks wonderful, as does the soy, sesame, and citrus salad. I'd love the potatoes too!

    For me, the meal would be rounded out with some kind of bread or crackers for the cheese and beetroot salad. Maybe it was on the menu but just not pictured?

    As far as the tuna is concerned, I wouldn't be able to eat it. I can only eat medium well to well done meat. Seeing the bloody tuna on my plate would really gross me out. Of course, I know that tuna is the best when it's rare or medium rare, but I just can't stomach the sight of blood.

    I've never had creme brule but if it's lavender infused it's got to be good!

    I think you did a good job at choosing the menu. It's hard to please everyone...especially picky people like me who want their meat well done. I know that's a nightmare to chefs. LOL! :)

    What kind of drinks were on the menu? Red wine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure about the large scale cooking for 200? Even if it means there's a trip to the Proms thrown in there as a bonus?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google under pressure at pembroke, they served a vegetarian formal every Monday night for the last year; great food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for very kind comments Sheila! You're right, we did get served bread as well. As for drinks, the kitchens serve red and white wine, as well as apple juice and water, and port to finish. Yes, they do treat us quite well!

    You're by no means the only one who doesn't like rare meat - this was something I was worried about too, but luckily the menu was advertised beforehand and people do choose which formal dinners they would like to attend.

    Amanda - noooooooooooooooooo

    Anon - Yes I discovered their blog recently! Great stuff, made me very happy to see a college chef passionate about their food! I had a quick look through their "vegetarian" section, although I haven't read through the formal menus yet. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...that's good that there was bread, and the drinks sound great!

    That was good that the menu was advertised ahead of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guess on the creme brulee is that they went with the french approach - a set custard, rather than the creamier burnt cream type.

    It looks good though! I should get myself a ticket to sample your efforts soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ino, thanks for visiting! I've gotta add you to the slowly growing list of Cambridge foodblogs I am aware of!

    I never knew there was a French approach... I'll have to look it up. To be honest though, I do prefer the cremier type!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the French one is a bit more like a creme caramel in consistency - have you had the Chez Gerard or Cafe Rouge versions? Something like that. I always think the Trinity one is a bit too creamy for my liking, so I would have liked to have tried this version!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't been to either restaurant actually. Yeah creme caramel-like would be nice, but this one was more floury almost?? Hard to describe. Maybe I'm being too critical - I did eat it all anyway =P

    ReplyDelete