Thursday, June 9, 2011

Things you shouldn't do with sushi leftovers

The problem with making loads of sushi is what to do with the excess. No, I really mean it. The dilemma went as follows:

Me:  "I'm hungry. Hey that sushi we made yesterday is sitting in the fridge..."
Peen: ...
Me: "Oh wait, it's probably a bad idea to eat day-old raw fish, right?"
Peen: ...
Me: "Hmm but it's only a day. I mean I wonder how long pre-packaged sushi sits in those boxes for..."
Peen: ...
Me: "But but, that fish was out at room temperature for a few hours."
Peen: ...
Me: "Oh but you shouldn't waste fish right? Fish is expensive stuff, so I shouldn't throw it out (cue Asian parent threat about starving kids in Africa) ."
Peen: ...
Me: "What if I get salmonella? Oh but isn't wasabi meant to, like, kill the bacteria? Maybe I can just add lots of wasabi. Yeah. But I might get diarrhoea, and that wouldn't be nice. Hmm maybe I could, like, microwave the sushi... eww microwaved sushi. But at least nuking it will kill anything nasty, I think. Gah, that's stupid, what a waste of fish. If only I had a blowtorch, you know, like how those sushi chefs sear the top of the salmon? But I don't, so that's totally useless to think about. NGAHHHHH!"
Peen:  "We're never going to make it to the beer festival today."

But we're Cambridge students right? We can't so easily be defeated by the perils of day-old sushi! Or at least we're not supposed to. Solution?

I did not get a stomach ache after eating this. Success!

Moral of the story: When in doubt, make fried rice.

-----

So after writing the previous post, I started to get paranoid that nobody actually caught onto all the Inception references, after I'd spent far too long writing it... you guys did, right? Right?

Haha I'm going insane at the moment, but I promise a return to normal programming at the end of the month, after I hand in my first-year report!

Oh and on a serious note, please be careful with food hygiene. I don't want to have inadvertently caused anybody reading this a bad case of gastro...

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to make fried rice with it! Glad you didn't get sick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get any inception reference at all. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I was more vocal than that. Although when you talk to yourself the world does get a brief, frightening glimpse into the inner dialogue that you use to make your decisions. Either way, I think this meal was a success. As was the beer festival.

    Peen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sheila! My stomach is well trained to survive leftovers =P

    Steffen, I'm disappointed. Really.

    Success it was indeed Peen. And you're right, the world probably isn't ready to see the full horror of my internal decision making mechanisms.

    ReplyDelete