Tuesday, June 14, 2011

In sickness and in health

No I'm not getting married, but I have come down with a bit of a cold... in the middle of "summer". What's going on with that? And, first-year report + cold is a bad combination.

One does needs to eat however, regardless of how unwilling they are to cook. Hello congee.

Normally I do like congee, with pork and century duck egg, or 'sampan' congee (艇仔粥) or even pig's blood congee =). And I especially like congee with those deep-fried bread sticks (油炸鬼).

However in my current mood I am extremely reluctant to leave the building. So this is all I could muster (it's health food right?):

Perhaps not the most appetising looking thing.
Poor Man's Congee
1. Wash 500 g of short grain rice several times in water, then add lots of water and bring to a boil.
2. Boil more.
3. And more. If it starts getting dry, add more water. Stir so it doesn't stick to the bottom.
4. Throw in whatever ingredients you want (all I had was some sliced shiitake mushrooms, dried tofu skin things and ginger. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper. Dash of sesame oil.
5. Regret that you used 500 g of rice, as the thing threatens to overflow from the pot.

Serves far too many. (I'm probably going to eat this 6-7 times this week. Oh dear.)

-----

There are so many things I still have to write about but haven't had the will power/time/sanity of mind. After this busy period is over, look forward to a bunch of restaurant reviews, some yummy dessert recipes, my attempts at Japanese fusion and perhaps less insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment