Friday, November 18, 2011

Petrou Brothers, Cambridge

You can't get more British than a dreary grey sky and a plate of fish and chips.


The thing I never understood about fish and chips is why this dish is so strongly associated with British food. There's nothing about it that strikes me as particularly British.

On a similar note (that The Fastest Food Blogger also noted recently), it strikes me as unusual that Cambridge should have at least two dedicated fish and chip shops, yet it is so difficult to buy good fresh seafood for cooking...

Anyhow thanks to a tip from LL Cool J, n∈R and I decided to head to the mall outside the Grafton to lunch at a fish and chippie called Petrou Brothers. What were we there for?


Oh yes. When LL mentioned last week that you could get a "mini" (read: maxi) fish and chip meal for around £3, this was an opportunity that could not be passed up.

Objects in photo may appear smaller than actual size.
Maxi alright, he wasn't kidding. Out comes a rather generous portion of fish and chips, slopped with a pretty damn huge ladle of mushy peas.

The fish was actually pretty well fried, with a good crunch and not at all sogged with oil. I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan of the chips - they were quite good for British fish and chip standards I think, but still there was less golden crunch and more of a hardened skin to the outside of them, needing quite a bit of salt & vinegaring. (I miss Uni Bros chips for any usyd people out there. Mmm chicken salt.) Mushy peas are mushy peas ie. tasteless green volume that counts as one of your "5-a-day".

Verdict? Pretty tasty fish, reasonable chips, um yeah peas, and a bloody good price.

Petrou Brothers
12 Burleigh St
Cambridge CB1 1DG
http://www.petroubrothersfishandchips.co.uk/

View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. Aha- I've been meaning to try this place for a while! I guess I won't be rushing there immediately now, but I won't cross it off the list completely. Definitely a good price though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's not bad at all, but perhaps I was expecting a little more after my friend had mentioned it. Maybe the ones in Ely/Chatteris are better if the original owners work there? Outrageously good value still!
    I'll have to give the Sea Tree a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quality seems to vary between times I've been there (the first time was the best, after which I mentioned it to you). It's worth going on a Friday/Saturday night when they are busy and everything is made on the spot!

    The Sea-tree is also nice, though I seem to remember that their fish and chips was not the strongest. They did some really nice seafood though and an amazing brown-bread ice cream!

    ReplyDelete