Wednesday, March 23, 2011

QED: Chicken and Vegetable Clear Soup


OK so this is not particularly glamorous, but for me it's comfort food because its warm, fully of chunky goodness and it's home cooking in a sense (except that Mum is much better than me). Plus it's really healthy.

If there are any organic chemists out there, this soup is awesome because:
- It's a one pot reaction
- Done in aqueous solvent
- On kilogram scale
- No workup or purification needed.

Ingredients:
5 chicken thighs or drumsticks
10 potatoes
10 carrots
light soy sauce
6 tomatoes
3 onions
generous handful of dried wolfberries

Procedure:
1. Trim the fat off the chicken. Immerse in half a pot of cold water. Add wolfberries (you can find these at most Asian stores)

2. Bring to a very low simmer and skim off the oil and foamy stuff that floats to the surface.

3. Whilst the chicken is simmering, chop vegetables into relatively large chunks. Add first the potatoes and carrots. Keep skimming if oil/foam accumulates. Simmer on low for a while (~30 min) then add halved or whole tomatoes and onions. Add a dash of soy sauce.

4. Put a lid on it and go do something else for an hour or two. I went to the graduate BA rooms to watch the latter 2/3 of Hot Fuzz. Good movie.

5. Add salt/pepper/soy sauce to taste.

That's pretty much it. Dinner for the next 4 days...

---

On other things, you should all check out this fantastic food blog also from Trinity! Plus this food blog just mentioned a cafe in Cambridge that does lamingtons - now added to my wishlist =P

2 comments:

  1. wohoo thanks for the link :D I was talking to my neighbour about food blogs and she told me there was another one which talked about the science of it...I thought she might have been talking about this one! (Do you know an Alison? PHD in Biology?)

    On another note, I love clear chicken soup :D I totally agree with the dinner-for-the-next-4-days-thing because Sainsbury's always seem to have chicken thighs on offer :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha what a coincidence, yesterday night we were in the BA room for dinner and Alison was there! Not sure if she was talking about this one though - I didn't think there was that much science here =P at least not about the cooking

    About Sainsbury's, I don't think they should be allowed to call it a discount when it's permanently on offer! Not that I'm complaining about the price or anything...

    ReplyDelete